In order to register for a team with the Dragon Boat Races there is the following:
1. A $1,200 fee per team payable via credit card or paypal with submission of this application.
2. When we receive this and you are among the first 26 teams registered, you will immediately have a designated spot in the boat race.
We do encourage you to register your team as early as possible. You will receive a final confirmation letter after your application and payment is received. Application and fee must be received no later than July 1, 2020.
Applications are subject to approval by the DBR Director; thereafter, a confirmation letter will be sent to your team’s main contact.
The structure of the Dragon Boat Race will remain the same as last year, with Dragon Boat teams practicing and racing in one day. Saturday July 11th, 2020. Training begins at 9:00am. Race runs from 1:00pm-5:00pm.
PRELIMINARY INFORMATION FOR TEAMS PLEASE READ AND KEEP A COPY: (PDF)
a) All participants under 18 years of age MUST be accompanied by a parent or guardian in order to compete. Parents MUST sign the waivers for any participant younger than 18 years of age.
b) For ALL participants, previous paddling experience is NOT REQUIRED (you will receive training), but you MUST be able to swim at least 100 meters, confirmed by the Team Captain.
c) The CAPTAIN (named in the application) will be responsible for all aspects of your team’s participation in the Dragon Boat Race, including:
• Completion of correct registration procedures
• Submission of a team roster, it is suggested that you register more than 20 individuals, with a maximum of 25. This is so that you will have alternates – only those listed on the roster can compete, since they will be the only individuals covered by the Festival insurance.
• Each team will have 18 paddlers, one drummer, and one flag catcher.
• A team can paddle short paddlers, but are required to have a drummer and a flag catcher
• Flag-Catchers must be 16 years of age or older, Paddlers and Drummers must be 18 or older. Submit
• Each team must have a minimum of 8 females in each race that are either paddling or drumming.
• An experienced stern will steer the boat and will be provided by the American Dragon Boat Association (ADBA) • All team members entering the boat must be wearing shoes with a strap around the back. Please Note: flip- flops are not allowed – no exceptions!
• Submission of signed Release Forms for all team members, signed by them. Or in the case of those younger than 18 years of age, by their parents or guardians.
• Attendance at all Captains’ Meetings is required; Captains may have a team representative attend in their place.
• On the day of the race your team will be disqualified if your team does not meet the requirements stated above.
• Each team will receive a ballot to vote for best t-shirt design and best team spirit.
• Your team must have an identifying TEAM NAME AND an identifying TEAM T-SHIRT. T-Shirt design, logo and sponsorship are subject to the approval of the Dragon Festival. As this is a family oriented event, any inflammatory designs or sponsorships will not be tolerated. All Dragon Boat Race teams are strongly encouraged to require their team members to wear their team shirts during the festival. (You may also want to have additional T-shirts printed, to trade with other teams. Such trading is encouraged.) Please provide one T-shirt to the Dragon Festival for display at the event.
• Team flags must be approved through the Dragon Festival Sponsorship Program.
• There will be AWARDS presented for various division categories, a (for most energetic and enthusiastic group), “Most Creative Tshirt” design; and other categories. Team Captains will receive further information about the awards, categories, and award structure.
• An international level paddler can participate on ONLY ONE TEAM.
• A designated parking space will be provided for each team and parking is limited. Shuttle buses are encouraged and available from multiple locations. Team Captains will be provided with the parking pass and shuttle information at the captain’s meeting.
• The Dragon Boat Race will be conducted under the auspices of the and all rules are outlined in the “American Dragon Boat Association Festival Manual,” available at their website. (www.americandragonboat.com/index.htm). Go to their Homepage – then to Services – then to Festival Manual. You may download and print a copy at no charge. (If a discrepancy is found between the rules in the Captain’s Manual and what’s posted on this website, the rules in the Captain’s Manual will supersede)
• Teams and their Captains should regularly check the Dragon Festival website for updates and more information will be provided at the captains meeting. You can visit our website at: www.dragonfestival.org For additional information or questions, contact: email@example.com.